- The Millennium III Action features components made of ABS-Carbon, a composite material created by the infusion of carbon fiber into our renowned ABS Styran. ABS-Carbon is incredibly sturdy and rigid, which allows the creation of action parts that are lighter without sacrificing strength. The result is a stronger, faster action that offers more power, better control and greater stability than conventional all-wood actions.
- Spruce keys that are light, yet extremely strong for their weight. They respond with minimal flex and exceptional consistency, transmitting every subtle nuance of the pianist’s performance while remaining stable through years of heavy use. The length of each key has been extended to make playing easier and provide more even response from the front to the back of the playing surface. Keysticks are also designed with a slightly taller profile for maximum rigidity to deliver greater power.
- Kawai’s exclusive NEOTEX key surface material made of cellulose fiber offers the smooth, understated texture of natural ivory and ebony – and a semi-porous, silica-filled surface to absorb the hand’s natural oils and perspiration. Since NEOTEX is used for both the sharps and naturals, the feel of the keys is consistent across the entire keyboard. NEOTEX resists cracking and fading over years of use and is static-resistant to help prevent the build-up of unwanted dust. The result is a beautiful, long-lasting key surface with exceptional playability.
- A durable aluminium Hammer Rail made with Kawai’s exclusive Dual-Beam design for strength and stability. Both the hammer rail and the wippen rail are permanently locked in place to preserve the exacting tolerances of the action design and ensure consistent touch over the life of the piano. The entire surface of the hammer rail is finely serrated to hold each hammer flange securely in place for optimum hammer alignment, while the hammer flanges secured to the surface are made by PBT resin that enables the action screws to remain tight without shrinking and swelling. All these meticulous design features comprise the GX Series’ rigid foundation, ensuring a precise key stroke over time.
- Solid Spruce Soundboard: The soundboard transforms the vibrations of the piano’s strings into a rich, resounding tone. Kawai uses only straightgrained, quarter-sawn solid spruce for GX series soundboards. Each one is strategically tapered to provide the proper degree of resonant movement in each region. Only soundboards that meet or exceed demanding resonance standards are selected for use in the GX series grand pianos.
- CORE system (Convergence for Optimum Reflected Energy): Convergence refers to the way the piano’s strength centers—the rim, plate and underside beams—all focus on one central point at the heart of the instrument. This focus creates an incredibly strong “core” foundation that maximizes the reflective capabilities of the inner rim for outstanding tonal power and sustain.
- The exclusive Konsei Katagi rim uses a blend of distinctive hardwoods to achieve an ideal balance of tone. For the inner rim, small-pored hardwoods that provide superior brightness and projection are interlaminated with dense, large-pored hardwoods offering warmth and fullness. This synergy of structurally divergent hardwoods produces a powerful, well-rounded richness of tone that is the hallmark of Kawai pianos.
- GX bass bridges are made of the highest quality hard maple or beech. Treble bridges are vertically laminated with 13 layers of maple and mahogany for maximum strength and optimal transfer of sound energy. The bridges perform the vital task of transferring the vibrations of the strings to the soundboard.
- SOLID construction (Stretcher Over-Lap Integrated Design) creates an exceptionally rigid foundation to support string tension. First, the pinblock is fitted to the plate. Then, the pinblock and over-lapping stretcher bar are integrated into a single structure and solidly anchored to the rim. The extraordinary thickness of the stretcher bar exemplifies the structural integrity of this sturdy framework designed to ensure stable tuning and powerful tone.
- The Vacuum Molded Plate over which the strings are tensioned has a “Crossbone Design” resulting in a plate that is strong, stable and beautiful.
- The instrument’s exterior design, with its gentle curves and broad music rest, establishes the traditional characteristics and captivating form of a grand piano. Kawai have also expanded the upper-beam thickness which reinforces the piano’s overall structural rigidity, and also serves to further distinguish the exterior design. Kawai’s highly prized painting and finishing process affords the piano body its distinctive, luxurious ebony polish appearance. However, the beauty of the GX Series truly shines upon opening the instrument’s top-board. The mesmerizing brilliance of the glowing golden frame, the delicate woodwork and abundant expression of quality displayed along the inner rim, the luxurious elegance of rich black felt, and the reassuring display of hand-made craftsmanship – verified by the Kawai frame mark. These are the characteristics that embody the spirit of ‘THE GRAND’.
|Touch||White key surfaces||NEOTEX|
|Black key surfaces||NEOTEX|
|Sound||Soundboard||Solid Spruce, Tapered|
|Duplex scaling||Fore & Back|
|Exterior design||Pedals||Damper, Sostenuto, Soft|
|Music rack||Position||5 position|
|Other features||Stretcher Over-Lap Integrated Design (SOLID)
Steel-reinforced keyslip & keybed
Vertically laminated treble bridge
Hybrid inner rim